The First Vintage Socorro Postcards Have Arrived!

I received three packages from Ebay today.



Since last week, I've ordered a number of postcard collectables from Ebay. The first three arrived today.

Shirley's Drive-In was a mainstay on California Street in Socorro when I was growing up. I remember my sister and me buying Frito Pies from there. Eventually, it went out of business. I imagine that Shirley's Cafe was the original restaurant. The post card below shows what appears to be from the 1950s or about, based on the vehicles in front.


The back indicates that it was on "U.S. Highways 60 .. 85 .. & 380". There was "always plenty of parking spaces" and "cooled by refrigeration." There was a special menu for children and they had a curio shop that you could purchase items from, including probably this postcard.


From a separate seller, I found this matchbox cover. I'd imagine that these were given freely to customers as they enjoyed their cigarettes, cigars and pipes in the smoke-filled restaurant. Remember those days? 

Don't forget close the cover before striking!


The inside of the matchbook includes distance for the shortest routes to Shirley's, including from T or C; Albuquerque; Chicago, Illinois; and Las Vegas, Nevada.

Since Truth of Consequences changed its name from Hot Springs in 1950, this matchbook cannot be older than that. Although, I would imagine from the drawing on the cover that it was printed in the early 1950s.


The next postcard I received came with a little gift! 

The Vagabond Motel and Restaurant was a fixture on California Street when I was growing up. I ate my first Chinese dinners at that place. I remember my family ordering different dishes and sharing among each each other. I usually ordered the Sweet and Sour Pork. It's still my favorite today.

Based on the vehicles in the photo, I believe this postcard was issued in the 1960s. 

Crow's Nest Postcards decided to send me a little gift with my purchase! The photo in front shows a little girl with her right hand in a crocodile's (or is it an alligator?) mouth. The wording says "Helen is Left Handed Now." 


The back of the Vagabond postcards indicates that they have T.V. and telephone in all rooms! Wow! What a concept! And they don't just have baths with a tub, but their baths are combined with a shower! Thank goodness they also had air conditioning and heating, because it can get hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter in Socorro. By the way, don't call that number. The Vagabond is now out of business.


I'm thinking that the lefty's girl postcard will be sent somewhere via Postcrossing soon. The other postcards are going into my collection.
 

Comments

Popular Posts