Post from a friend and 3 more vintage postcards

I received a postcard from a friend. I sent him a couple of cards a few days ago and he sent me this great one that arrived today. 

The quote about Albuquerque is a classic Bugs Bunny quote, but for some reason this card is showing Wile E. Coyote seemingly ready to feast on a sheepdog and a sheep. I don't understand the reference or mashup, but what can I say....


The back of the card has some nice stamps and a message that indicated that he got this from NYC. It's apparently a favorite among those who receive his cards. He also reminded me that stamp prices are going up at the beginning of the year. We've been texting back and forth the past few days discussing stamp prices and postcard availability among other things. I went and bought 20 postcard stamps today. I will buy more before the end of the year. Thank you, friend!

I met my friend back in 2000 when I started researching genealogy. He was an expert in Socorro, NM families and showed me a bunch tips and tricks that helped me become a good researcher. At the time, he was way ahead of me in family history research - he probably still is.

History repeats itself. I began Postcrossing this previous weekend. Just yesterday my first postcard was received. That means that I was able to send one more card out (you can only have five cards out at a time until your fifth card is received and registered.) A should be receiving card from a random postcrosser soon. I wonder who it will be. Most likely, it'll be someone from another country. Anyhow, I found out that my friend has been Postcrossing since 2011 and didn't tell me. As of today, he has sent 11,927 cards and received 11,908 back! He's the 13th top postcrosser in the United States! What the heck!

Anyhow, the postcard I received from him today is not actually officially Postcrossing, but rather a private swap that we agreed to a few days ago. Postcrossing only facilitates random exchanges. Anything else is beyond their purview.



In addition to exchanging postcards, I'm also buying vintage cards off of Ebay. These are exclusively for my collection, and will not be circulated.

Today, I received three cards as a bundle. The top card shows the San Felipe de Neri Church in Old Town, Albuquerque, New Mexico. Click on this link to watch a tourist video I found on YouTube about church. I just visited Old Town this weekend to pick up a few Christmas gifts and a bunch of postcards. 

The postcard on the bottom right is the State Capitol Building in Santa Fe, New Mexico. This is not the same capitol building that stands today in Santa Fe. Watch this video from C-Span on The Roundhouse, the current capitol building. The Roundhouse was dedicated on December 8, 1966. The postcard indicates that the pictured capitol building was remodeled in 1951, so this postcard was printed sometime between 1951 and 1966.

The bottom left postcard is of Taos Indian Pueblo. This video from New Mexico True TV briefly describes the pueblo. The Pueblo is near the town of Taos, New Mexico.


 





Comments

Popular Posts